Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Always, Always, Always Keep Your Camera Handy!

As I was leaving the house for work yesterday morning, I briefly contemplated leaving my camera at home. The news said that there wasn't going to be a cloud in the sky (hence no dramatic sunset) and I was tired of lugging my DSLR, flash, and miscellaneous gear around. Thankfully, I put that thought out of my mind, grabbed my camera bag, and headed out the door. I did not know it at the time, but that evening I would meet Gavin Newsom, the mayor of San Francisco. My friend Mary Ann (that's her on the right) told me about the Presidential Debate Watch Party at Temple SF/Prana Nightclub in San Francisco during lunch. I would have preferred to watch the debate from the comfort of my own couch, but I thought, "What the heck, maybe I can take a few photos of the event." And I sure did take a few photos! While I was standing around minding my own business, in walked the mayor, and he chatted it up with the people around me. One of the event organizers asked me to take a photo of him with the mayor. There was very little light in the club, so I had to pull out my flash. I admit I was a little nervous. Thank goodness I've had some practice setting up my gear. I took their photo, then a couple more people asked to have their photo taken with the mayor. It was a bit overwhelming, especially since I hate taking indoor photos with a flash attached to the hotshoe. Even though I angled the flash up instead of aiming it right in their eyes, I still thought the light on their faces looked too artificial. As always, whenever I deal with an unexpected situation, I walk away with many lessons learned. More to come in the days ahead. Go here to see more photos.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What about how he actually asked about your shirt? That was pretty random.