Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Lesson Learned: Remember the Sync Speed. Again.

Only three weeks ago, I wrote about how important it is to not exceed the sync speed of your camera when using a flash. This past weekend up in Sequoia National Park I was so excited about the dramatic scenery that I repeated the same mistake. In these photos, you can see that the second (rear) curtain began to close while the flash fired. In both photos I set the shutter speed to 1/800 seconds. This is far less than than my camera's max sync speed of 1/320 seconds. When you select a shutter speed that does not exceed the max sync speed, then no dark banding (where the rear shutter obscures the flash) will occur. In the photo below, the exposure time was 1/250 sec. Digital Photography One on One has a very good online video that explains how shutters work and why obeying the sync speed when using flash is so important.

No comments: