Sunday, October 12, 2008

Ghostbusting

I have lots of problems with ghost images appearing in my photos whenever there's a strong source of light in the frame. I use the Nikkor 35mm f/2D lens and from all the reports I've read, lens flare and ghost images are not an issue. I couldn't understand why I had this problem. Then I realized that maybe it's the Tiffen 52mm UV protection filter in front of my lens, so I conducted a little test from my couch. With filter: Without filter: The results are conclusive: the filter is the culprit. It's coming off. It's a bummer because I don't like the idea of dust and grime fouling the lens directly. I'll also miss the added protection from jostling and bumping that the filter offers. But until I find a better filter, I'll have to avoid using it, unless I'm shooting in a rough and tumble situation, or outdoors in inclement weather AND I don't plan on shooting into direct light sources. You can also see this problem in these past posts: Sunset at the Emeryville Marina Lesson Learned: Avoid Guessing (check out the ghost lightsaber!)

No comments: