Thursday, October 9, 2008

Lightroom Saves the Day

Here is the original photo of the crowd watching the second Presidential Debate Watch Party at Temple SF/Prana Nightclub in San Francisco. I turned off the flash (didn't want to distract the viewers), lifted the camera up high over my head, aimed as best as I could, prayed, and pressed the shutter release. The result was a very dark picture not fit for display. Exposure info: 52.5mm focal length, 1/50 sec, f/2, ISO 800, 6:26 pm. I was pleasantly surprised to see how much of the photo I recovered using Adobe Lightroom: Post-processing in Lightroom: Convert to grayscale, +4 stops of exposure, +60% fill light. I wish I had upped the ISO to 1600 or 3200, so that I didn't have to rely so heavily on Lightroom. Despite that, I am fairly happy with the final result. I wouldn't try to make a 6x9 print from it, but I think it looks good as a medium-sized image on the web.

No comments: