Friday, August 29, 2008

DIY Snoots

Inspired by the Strobist cereal box snoot, I built my first snoot out of black poster board, gaffer tape, and adhesive-backed velcro. This has an effective length of 10 inches. Notice that one end is edged with white gaffer tape. This is supposed to allow a little more light to spill out. I will test this soon.
Then I read about using a foam sheet instead of a piece of cardboard, so I tried that too. This has an effective length of 11 inches. Foam sheets cost around $1.00 (US). I bought mine at Michael's Furry side of the velcro On the flip side and opposite edge is the hooks side of the velcro In the photos above, you'll see that there's velcro around the head of the flash. This was inspired by the Strobist velcro speed strap. I use it to help hold the cardboard snoot and I use it to mount a cardboard flag. Full disclosure: I haven't used either of these snoots out in the field, but when I do, I will post up some photos.

No comments: