Sunday, August 24, 2008

Lesson Learned: Use Flash During High Noon

I haven't posted in awhile, but thankfully I've been shooting. A mix of work, friends, and family events converged to give my camera quite a workout. Photo info: 52.5mm focal length, f/14, 1/160 sec, ISO 200, no flash, 2:22 pm. I learned a lot from the past few days. The first lesson is that flash is absolutely necessary when shooting during high noon. In the picture above you can see that my buddy's face is dark. If I expose for his face then the sky and other well-lit portions of the photograph will get blown out. The solution is to add a little flash to his face. Unfortunately I didn't feel like pulling out the flash and setting it up, so I don't have a good picture of him with everything properly exposed. What can I say, I'm lazy. :-) A few days later my friends and I tossed around the frisbee in Golden Gate Park. It was an overcast day, but I wanted to try to practice holding a flash with my right hand while walking around. As you can see, I need a lot more practice. When I looked at the LCD, it looked like the flash didn't go off even though my buddy said he saw the light. After transferring the photo to my computer, I saw that the flash did go off. The problem is my aim was poor, but his right forearm looks great! Photo info: 52.5mm focal length, f/5, 1/1600 sec, ISO 200, full flash power, 28mm flash zoom, 3:43 pm. Someday (hopefully soon) I'll be able to properly expose people in harsh sunlight.

No comments: