Friday, January 16, 2009

Missing Malou

Exposure: 52.5mm focal length, 1/60 sec, f/2.2, ISO 400, 2:00pm.
I was at a popular restaurant with coworkers when I saw a camera crew surveying the scene. I caught a glimpse of local television personality Malou Nubla interviewing people outside. I wanted to take some discreet shots of her as I walked out of the restaurant, so before getting up to leave, I readied my camera for some quick shots. I set my autofocus to the most automatic setting (I normally use a single focus point and have to aim carefully). I set the shutter release to continuous low, so that I could take a series of photos quickly. Finally I held my camera close to my chest hoping that I could aim the lens without looking through the viewfinder. But I forgot to change the exposure settings! My exposure time, aperture, and ISO were set to capture my coworkers inside the restaurant where the ambient light level was many stops below the light level outside. What a rookie mistake! I should have just put the camera into aperture-priority, shutter-priority, or full auto mode...anything but manual exposure mode! Shame on me!

No comments: