Thursday, January 29, 2009

Oscar Grant Protest

A few weeks ago, I caught wind that there was going to be a protest in San Francisco over the BART Police shooting of Oscar Grant. After work, I walked over to the rallying point, but found only some cops and a bunch of what I assume were photojournalists. As I walked around checking out the scene, two guys laid on the ground in protest and the photographers SWARMED! I think I understand the term "media circus" a little better now. It all felt too contrived. As if he read my mind, the guy on the right got up and left with a grin on his face, secure in the knowledge that he'd be on the cover of some publication. Of course, I couldn't resist taking some shots, so maybe I was part of the circus that evening as well! You can see the rest of the photos here.

1 comment:

basile with an e said...

When you say swarm, did they run over?? I could never see myself running over, haha. I'm too lazy.